Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Calgary Capers!

Went out for supper at the Panorama Room at Calgary Tower the other night and that was amazing. We had this neat u-shaped booth that faced out to the window. Over the next couple of hours enjoyed some fantastic food, and stunning views over the city as we did two revolutions. does food taste better when your revolving?



On Sunday morning I headed out to Fort Calgary, which is an interpretive museum on the site where the fort once stood. It was such an awesome experience - it's amazing to think that just one hundred years ago all that was here was a small outpost with 8 mounties, and now there's a city of a million people. What a difference a century makes! I loved learning all the silly stuff from the city's history like the when the first telegraph lines arrived in Calgary there wasn't enough wire so it stopped in a field just outside town, so every time someone wanted to send a message they had to go racing off to the middle of this field! Or, in 1912 the city wanted to beautify itself so planted hundreds of palm trees, forgetting about Calgary's fierce Winters. Several years later only one was still alive and had achieved a dizzying height of three feet! This photo shows the old Fort and the downtown skyline... old & new

On Sunday afternoon, I headed off to the Stampede Grounds to watch the bronco riding and steer wrestling. That was such cool fun and the skills of the cowboys to stay on the wild, bucking horses was amazing! But watching from the bleachers was close enough for me. I love this photo!




Here's a photo of a sign hanging in Eaton Center, downtown. Thought you'd enjoy this advice, Karyn!








A rather creative shot, doncha think?? Calgary Tower reflected in the mirrored glass of the CPR Building. Still can't rotate photos...sorry!!

2 comments:

Bayside Library Online Learning said...

I love the sign...its an adage by which I should live my life!!!

Oops.. I deleted my blog!! said...

Only in Canada..... Beavertails!
is that like a pretzel? Your mission is to purchase some just before your flight out, about 30 should do for us all to try them!!!! we dont mind if they are 26 hrs stale! I just thought today to check your blog, what a great escape for a while! Im enjoying my stint in the seaside village which, as they say: a change is as good as a holiday!