Sunday, October 7, 2007

Online in Ottawa

Yesterday I took what must be the world's shortest flight from Toronto to Ottawa (a total flying time of 29 minutes!) I left sunny Toronto behind for overcast Ottawa (luckily I bought a fab fall coat in Toronto) I've never been to the nation's capital before so I was very excited to explore. Naturally I managed to get lost in a very short space of time. But that's kinda cool as I came across sites that I didn't know about.
It was so great to see all the country's most notable buildings and take in the history. I was really quite surprised at how Francophone Ottawa is. I know Quebec is just across the river, but I wasn't expecting to hear so much French amongst the people on the streets.
Took a really long walk yesterday along the Rideau Canal, Parliament Hill, and the gorgeous Chateau Laurier. Also walked along Ottawa's stunning grand boulevard, riverside, maple tree lined Sussex Drive with some of the most notable buildings in the city. It was starting to drizzle by the time I reached number 24, the residence of the Prime Minister of Canada. Alas, I was not invited in to dry off and have a cuppa. Oh well....

The Byward Market is right next to my hotel, so I went in to try one of Ottawa's delicacies - the beavertail. It's a foot long pastry that's drizzled in maple butter. Holy smokes!! It's the most delicious thing I have ever eaten!
Temperature is set to soar again tomorrow into the high 20's.

Take care,


Trev




Taking a stroll along the Rideau Canal, taking in the fantastic fall colours.








At the Rideau Locks and the Chateau Laurier





At the National Art Gallery on Sussex Dv. (Yes Chris, that is a massive spider out the front)








mmmmm...beavertails!!






Parliament of Canada from Majors Hill Park, Sussex Dv.

1 comment:

LibraryDoggies said...

We will take care - though I reckon we need a bit of 'time out' here! Can't blame the heat for frazzled tempers and a whole lot of out of control behaviour ...is this all because your calming influence is not here?

The Teen library sounds great..have they got a spare job that comes with its own Aussie accent?

The travel all sounds good. Was farewelling a friend to Argentina last night ...so I'll be doing the old virtual living thru blogs...why am I here!!!!

Keep having a great time.