Thursday, October 4, 2007

Totally Trev's Tales From Toronto

Inspired by Libby's great travel blog, I too have decided to blog my travels across Canada. I've been in Toronto for a couple of days now, and am having a FANTASTIC time!! I don't think I've stopped smiling since I stepped off the plane (which would explain why my jaw is so sore!)

Got of to a bit of a shaky start when my Cityflyer flight from Melbourne to Sydney was cancelled, and then my flight from Sydney was delayed by the tardy planes in the queue in front on the runway. Nevertheless, the mammoth flight (26 hours) was quite pleasant. I was fortunate to be seated next to a lovely lady, Nancy from Vancouver Island, who was returning after vacationing around Australia. We chatted for most of the trip and managed to solve most of the problems in the world.

Arrived in Honolulu at 1.00am for a brief layover and man was it hot and humid - even in the middle of the night! Alas, all the stores in the airport were closed, so I couldn't get the Hawaiian shirt that Freeloading Phill assured me would be an essential part of my wardrobe!

Arrived in Vancouver at 10.00am Tuesday morning. Sea Island has got to be the most amazing airport I've ever been in - everything is brand new, lost of glass and natural light and very pleasing to the eye. There's even a waterfall in the middle of the concourse! Had another delaying waiting for my flight from Vancouver to Toronto as the plane I was supposed to take had been cancelled as a flock of migrating birds had flown into it! How sad is that?

Flying out from Vancouver gives you some amazing views over the city, harbour, Lions Gate Bridge and the Fraser River delta. I wish I could have taken some photos but alas, no electronic equipment during take off.

Toronto is in the grip of a last-gasp heatwave at the moment. Even though it is the middle of fall, the leaves are still green and the temperature has been sitting on 25C, and is expected to hit 30C by the weekend - this is about 10C above the normal temp for this time of year. Had to go out and buy some tank tops as its so warm!

I'm staying in a lovely hotel, but it's so funny as the North York Library is right next door (I swear I didn't know this when I was booking!) So last night I decided to have a quick wane through and it was amazingly huge - bigger than any public library in Melbourne. Five floors of collections, masses of Internet terminals on each floor, and this really cool open plan workroom which can be seen by the public form any of the upper floors (photo below). Pete - you would be in heaven - they have an separate teen library - not just a floor, or an area, but an entirely separate building adjacent to the main library with it's own staff, PC's and collection. How amazing is that?

It feels so great to be back in Canada - and its all the little things that I'm loving, like being able to get proper hashed browns for breakfast and not the mucky gelatinous stuff that you get in Australia! Have also been overdosing on Timothy's maple coffee - to die for!! Hockey season started last night with the Toronto Maple Leafs playing (and losing in overtime) to the Ottawa Senators. Very cool game tho!! Have been having a great time wandering around and exploring this vibrant city. Naturally lots of shopping is being done also.... (Oh and Karyn, you'll have to book a ticket here soon - they have a shoe museum - miles and miles of shoes from each decade - made me think of you!!)

A few photos of my adventures so far (L-R... North York Teen Library, Me on the Bathurst Street Pier, and Me at New City Hall). Hope you are all well back in Melbourne.














4 comments:

Bayside Library Online Learning said...

Hi Trev...it all sounds fabulous I'm very envious!!!
I have heard of the shoe museum as a friend brought me back a postcard from there several years ago.
Have fun. karyn

Phill said...

Shame about the shirt. It would have been perfect for the Toronto weather.

Gemma said...

Hey - great to see you are blogging your trip! Am looking forward to reading all about it. Now onto the library side of things. I want you to write an articel for Technotes about one of the library you have visited so take pictures and pick up handouts!! I am sure New Grad news would love one too!! he he!!

Jill Stephens said...

How's that, staying next to the library! Convenient. Canada sounds so beautiful, and the food you describe sounds yummy. Enjoy the rest of what's to come...