Saturday, October 13, 2007

Howdy From Cowtown

Having THE BEST time here in Calgary. Weather is great as the city is having an Indian Summer at the moment. Mornings are quite chilly in the low negatives, but by early afternoon the temperature has soared into the high teens and low twenties.








I'm loving the fall colors - here is Mission Bridge and the Elbow River shrouded in gorgeous color





Earlier in the week I hit all the big malls here in Calgary, Chinook, Marlborough, North Hill, Sunridge and Eaton Center.


The photo on the right is Chinook Centre, the city's largest mall



I love driving around Calgary - it has the best network of trails (freeways), and it doesn't take longer than fifteen minutes to get anywhere in the city. Most of the trails are named after local first nation tribes (Sarcee, Blackfoot, etc...).

This photo shows my favourite, the Shaganappi Trail. Anywhere else in the world, this would be read as the "Screw-a-diaper Freeway"!! Had to exit off and take a photo


Halloween is coming up in a fortnight and it's no neat to see all the store windows decked out for Halloween (although the Christmas stuff is rapidly taking over), and see homes decorated as people prepare for block parties. I wish this kind of thing happened in Australia (which is why I think it's so neat the Janet is running a Halloween activity at Bayside).

Anyway, drove to a farm just outside the city limits to see the pumpkins (mmm...pumpkin pie!!). There was a "Halloween Hedge Maze" there so I figured I'd give it a go. About halfway through this guy in a hockey mask and brandishing a chainsaw jumps out at me. So while my body is trying to decide whether to have a heart attack or pee my pants (I was seriously regretting that pint of Labat's Pilsner at this point), this little boy who was behind me walks straight up to the guy and says "that's a cool chainsaw". Okay, so I'm officially a bigger wuss than a five-year-old, for sure!!!


Last night went to a bar downtown to watch the hockey match and finally the Calgary Flames won their first game of the season. Go Flames Go!!

It was an even sweeter win as it really showed it to Dallas who had put up huge billboards around their city saying that the 'F' in Flames is silent!


Must go - am off to the Panoram Room (revolving resturant) for supper.

Oh, I nearly forgot - check out Calgary Public Library's marketing campaign on billbords and TV throughtout the city - http://calgarypubliclibrary.com/rp/

No comments: