Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Home

Thanks to those of you who have left a comment on my posts - it's been really great to read them all. Hang in there Pete!! Also a big thank you to Karyn for the 2.0 program, as without gaining those skills I would never have thought o, or even been able to blog my adventures.

I spent yesterday morning in Ottawa - even went to the National Library, but alas could not get past the lobby as you have to be a member to get access. How crazy is that? Could you imagine if we tried to do that at Bayside?? It's still a very cool building and nestled in the fall colors on the banks of the river.

Took an early flight from Ottawa to Calgary and this one was much longer than my last flight, at just on four hours. I'm so thrilled to be back in Calgary, I can't even describe how great it feels to be back "home"!! It's only been 18 months since I was last here, but Calgary has proved that it truly is a "Lego" city as so many buildings have been knocked down and even bigger skyscrapers built.

Weather is much cooler than the eastern provinces, but still pleasant. Mornings are quite chilly, hovering around -3C, but by late afternoon the Mercury has climbed to a sunny 17C.

It's so great to be back in the land of good country music (yes, there is such a thing!!), big jewellery, big belt buckles and even bigger hair (the higher the hair, the closer to God). Had lunch at the tres romantic Peters Drive In (a truck stop right on the TransCanada Highway). This place is the coolest and I love coming back to it. The best burgers and the thickest shakes in the world!

Spent the afternoon shopping downtown and I think I'm the next Le Chateau pin-up boy as I bought just about their entire range!! Will hit the malls over the next few days and make the most of the warm weather while it lasts. Hopefully I can make it out to Kanasaskis County and check out the first snowfalls of the season

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

T






Downtown Calgary and Centre Street Bridge







Peters' Drive-In on 16th Avenue @ 2nd St NE









"Holy Cow" part of the Udderley Art Exhibition downtown on 8th Avenue Mall (sorry again, but I still haven't figured out how to rotate, and I'm probably too far away for a "Hey Phill"!)




Olympic Plaza, and L-R Central Library, Old City Hall, New City Hall







2 comments:

LibraryDoggies said...

Glad to see that you've got a life going there! The pics look great; and let's hear it for the best burgers and milkshakes! Sounds like the credit card might not be having a holiday - hard at work !
Been to a few Fringe festival things, some movies and of course, the Pontian club on Friday.
Keep having a great time - no more libraries though!

WDL said...

yeah! canada! i grew up in NY on the other side of the great lakes, Toronto was only 1 1/2 hours from home, it was a big weekend treat.

I'm glad you are updating more frequently!

XO,
wdl