Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Exercise 24

Days Of Our Libraries and I both received email notification this morning that we're a week behind in our 2.1 learning!! So a mad learning scramble ensued (well by me, anyway)...

I mentioned in a previous post that I was intrigued with Zamzar, and it is the focus of Exercise 24. I'm sure that is happens in every library... a PC user comes to the Reference desk with a problem -- the PC won't read their file. Normally, this involves summoning the IT Man In Library Land (aka Freeloading Phill)... but with Zamzar the front desk staff and PC users may be more empowered to help themselves!

I've tried converting a couple of files (a word docuemnt, and a PDF file) and was very impressed at how smooth the whole process was. I selected the file I wanted to convert (pdf), chose the format I wanted it converted to (html) and entered my email address. Seconds later I had a link in my email to the converted file.

Maybe we could investiagte creating a link to Zamzar on our public access PCs?? Have other libraries done this? Thoughts??

Phew... am back on track again.

No comments: